Saturday, January 10, 2015

1974 Ford F100 Explorer "rehabbing the rig"

I have never owned a truck. I had a Ranchero once, but no trucks. I was never really a truck guy. I have held a job or two where I used various company trucks for heavy-duty industrial purposes, and was always delighted at how well a good strong truck did whatever I needed it to do, within reason. I drove Fords, Chevys, Kenworths, Volvos and International Harvesters. I liked the Fords the best, though, as real "big rigs" go, A new Volvo is pretty sweet!

I am going to do some fixing up around the new house soon and need a good truck to haul stuff. However, I am wired such that I can't spend any real money on a fancy, newer truck,  I don't need or want a luxurious daily-driven modern rig. I want something that is inexpensive, has a little history and is unique. Enter the 1974 F100. It has a proper 8 foot long bed, a 390 cubic inch big block V8 engine, power steering, and disk brakes. It's a classic American Work-Horse of the highest order. Best of all, it's only $1600.

It was probably the "Viking Red" color that drew me to this one. I viewed lots of cheap Fords, but this one spoke to me. Being a 1974, it is exempt from state smog inspections, so as a hot-rodder, that spoke to me also. It wasn't without it's flaws though, principally, the engine was severely down on power, and had a rough idle due to compression loss in multiple cylinders: The valves were toast. The brakes were also toast, as were the U-joints, and the cab heating system. However, the body was rust-free, wearing mostly original paint, the tires are fairly new, and the interior was original, worn, but not abused. There was enough to this truck to make it worth fixing up for the tasks at hand.
                 The previous owners had used it as a camper to follow the blue-grass music scene.



 The original seat was torn, but structurally strong. The dash pad was uncracked, the dash face clean and original.
   First order of business was relieving the rig of the shell. I next completely rebuilt the brakes and drive shaft.
 Next was a long over-due paint buff and wax. I also added the wood bed-rail protectors made from basic lumber-yard wood.

                                     
                       Bed rail protectors are mostly for looks, giving the truck a little more character.
                                     
With worn out engine, truck quickly pressed into service hauling a mini-tractor for some side-yard grading activity at the new house.

 The original engine had been rebuilt some time in the 1990's, but must not have received hardened valve seats.
                                                        Heads off for inspection
 Pretty much every valve was sunken like these. I have never seen anything this messed up actually run as good as this Ford. It hauled an 8,000 lb mini tractor with the engine in this condition!
                                                                          Block
            80 pound iron intake manifold. I has to use a shop crane to install it. Cleaned up and painted.


 I sent the heads to the machine shop for new valves, guides and seats. I repainted them, along with the exhaust manifolds. For the manifolds I used barbecue paint. It holds up pretty well

                                       
While apart, I also stripped and refinished the valve covers and air cleaner. I found a non-correct, but cool looking 390-2V air cleaner decal to finish it off. The engine now runs smooth as silk and has plenty of grunt.

 Since the truck was coming along so nicely, I decided to spend a buck or two tidying up the interior. I bought red carpet and a new seat cover. I changed out the cracked steering wheel. It's a comfy and capable truck. I also rebuilt the heater and heater box. New replacement parts are cheap and easy to come by, so this has been an inexpensive and fun project. Now it's a no-excuses usable and reliable rig.


Truck also used as a vehicle to retrieve other vehicles. It towed our new old BMW out of the San Francisco Bay Area, up the American Canyon grade with comfort, style, and ease, thanks to it's stout 390 V8.