Wednesday, November 4, 2015

1964 Comet Caliente Convertible edging towards daily-driver status!

Pursuant to my goal of having this little gem on the road and usable by November, I've been busting my rump nearly every free moment. I got the engine in, hooked up and fired with little fan-fare. I primed the oil system, replaced the old fuel with fresh, static timed the distributor, and she roared to life with just a few cranks of the key. The open headers were pretty head-splitting inside the garage and made for quite a neighborhood nuisance during initial test runs.

I topped up all fluids, made a few neighborhood romps and then drove it 2 miles to the muffler shop for a complete new system of 2.25" pipe with dual magnaflows. Since then, I've put about 150 miles on her while tuning the Edelbrock Performer carb. I bought a jet and rod kit from Summit and have been playing with different combinations to achieve a good balance of power, transition and idle.

I replaced the dented rear bumper with a well-worn example from ebay that isn't dented. I found a clean grill on craigslist and installed it in place of the wavy original. I welded in a patch at the drivers quarter panel where a little rust had eaten away. 

I am presently working on freshening up the interior. Unfortunately as I write this I am held up waiting for a response from Dearborn Classics about a defective section of carpet that I can't use in the car...Hopefully they come through for me and ship out a replacement piece pronto...

                                 
                           Final iteration of the engine. Note the Monte-Carlo bar attached now for structure                                                                     reinforcement.

                                 
Power steering pump and reservoir rehabbed and working fine. 150 miles of proving and no leaks      anywhere! Also note that I added a coolant overflow reservoir where the voltage regulator would normally be. I eliminated the regulator, generator and all of it's wiring by switching to an internally regulated alternator- 14 volts at idle!


                                 
         Prior to switching out the grill I did a quick sand and respray of the radiator core support.
Prior to firing the car for the first time since 1999, I drained the fuel tank. I was and still am amazed that there was vintage 20th century liquid fuel in the tank...5 gallons! Out with the old and in went some fresh. Surprisingly, the tank is clean and the level sensor works as it should. I blew out all the hard fuel lines and replaced all the rubber.

Dented rear bumper and trailer hitch removed to expose some original 1964 assembly-line worker writing
used but straight bumper installed. The chrome is a little faded, but it matches the age of the car, At least now it doesn't look like it's been rear-ended. This is an upgrade, albeit a minor one.

Nice straight grill installed, looks sharp.

 Just for curiosity's sake I swapped on the 15" Cragars from my Falcon. I immediately loved the look. However, while the rims are a great fit on the shorter falcon, they look slightly under-sized within the flanks of the impressive Comet.
The only other available size for this particular rim was 17". A little size goes a long way towards upping the visual appeal. Tires are 215/50R17, a fairly common modern size so tire replacement prices are reasonable.
I spent a few hours trimming away a little rust here on the drivers quarter panel and welding in fresh sheet metal. A little filler and sanding and she's good as new. I plan to touch up the area with some matched paint soon.
The passengers seat was in pretty nice shape underneath the cloth seat covers. All door and trim panels are very respectable.

                                  
The drivers seat is pretty shot. The foam has disintegrated and the cover is torn beyond reasonable salvaging. 


Interior stripped for carpet removal

Floors were found rock solid, with only a whisper of surface rust on the drivers side, which I sanded and sealed.

New carpet fitting in. Also note the fresh walnut on the lower half of the dash.


Here's the wrinkled rear floor section of carpet. Looks like when they made it, they attached the pad while the carpet was wrinkled, consequently I can't smooth out the wrinkles. I also can't remove and re-position the pad to relax the carpet because the glue is so strong it tears out the loop and makes bald spots. A bummer of a set-back. I already called...and sent pictures...Hoping to hear back from Dearborn Classics soon! Waiting...

Update: two weeks later a complete new carpet kit showed up on my door step. This one is smooth with no wrinkling or bubbling, looks great, and is ready to go in to complete the floor.



                                                   replacement carpet installed
                                       old paint repair on hood and a few dings repaired
                                                           stone chips fixed
                                                 a coat of sealer primer where needed

color-matched paint applied. I sprayed this in 45 degree weather so it didn't flow out very well, but some 2000 and 3000 grit color sanding followed up with some orbital buffing produced a very presentable final finish.