Sunday, August 9, 2015

Tribute to a good riding companion 1990 HD Softail

I love motorcycles. Back in 2009 I picked up a neglected Heritage Softail. I limped it home on bad tires, oil soaked brakes and with the choke pulled wide open just to keep it alive. It was in full dress, windshield, tall bars, bags, his and her seat, sissy bar, Conchos and tassels. I loved the bike but hated the look. I took to stripping it down to the essentials and making it my own. I de chromed pieces, changed the bars (several times), changed the seat, stripped the turn signals, speedo and dash and other un needed doo-dads. I wanted a pure machine, the only luxury I was allowing was the full fenders, as I really like the look. I took to repairing any faults over time and wound up with a reliable and awesome Harley Davidson that served me for six years, way beyond my humble original expectations. With mixed feelings, I sold it in tip-top shape a few weeks ago to try something different.

          Here's Black Betty at her peak of fitness, a few days before I found her a new owner.


 Shortly after I bought her, I discovered the drive belt had a hole in it from an unknown foreign object.
                              Here's what you have to remove in order to change the drive belt.
 

 A year or two after that, she started seeping oil from the rear cylinder's base gasket, due to faulty installation by the previous owner's mechanic.
                       Here's what you have to remove to replace the cylinder base gaskets.
 Pistons are in good condition. I found this bike very easy to work on and quick to go back together.
                                Since it was already torn down, I rebuilt the rear braking system.
Later I rebuilt the forks and removed the cow bells in favor of black rubber gaitors.
 
Over the past six years, I piled on the miles while intermittently making repairs and upgrades. She was never broken down, just needed rehabbing as she had over 80k miles and a lot of neglect.
 
 Look at all the cool places a Harley Davidson can take you! Sierra Nevada mountains in California.
 
 I've ridden up to Oregon several times, to Nevada, and all over Northern California. This was a great bike, but as I like to experience new adventures, I decided to sell her on for the next bike- one with a kick-starter.