Saturday, April 7, 2018

My 1996 Harley Davidson Dyna Low Rider experience

I found this bike for sale as a trade-in at an Indian Dealer nearby. They had it bargain priced and listed on craigslist. I skeptically went to have a look. I was wanting a nimble uncluttered  Harley with twin front disk brakes and a carbureted evolution engine, and this one fit the bill. It was adorned with a windshield, saddle bags, sissy bar, and heaps of pointless add-on chrome glamour pieces. This is not to my taste, but I was able to see through all that and picture the cool simple bike that was concealed within. The sales lady talked $500 off the asking price all on her own, much to my surprise, and it was a done deal!
Day 1 departing the Indian dealer with my new/old Dyna. Note the tall windshield, sissy bar, thunder header exhaust, saddle bag supports.



I removed the 4" handle bar risers, windshield, bag supports and sissy bar as soon as I got the bike home. The rear progressive brand shocks were garbage so I replaced them with some newer genuine HD adjustable units that I found used online.

Only the Dyna Low Rider comes with this unique instrumentation which includes a tachometer. Cool. I added heated grips from drag specialties, the switch is built into the left grip.

I changed to more low-profile mirrors and swapped out the so-called anti-vibration front foot pegs for a set of long basic HD pegs.

The thunder header exhaust had cracked it's bracket and muffler mount during a day trip to Reno for the annual "Street-Vibrations" biker rally, so I swapped on a set of ceramic coated Samson pipes. Also note a prior owner had installed chrome fork lowers and chrome brake rotors.

Close-up of that beautiful evolution engine with classic round air cleaner. Shortly after this bike, HD moved to fuel injection and the air cleaner changed shape completely. I recently noticed some of the new 2018 models have adopted this iconic style again after something like a 15-year lapse. A good call.