Friday, May 18, 2018

2005 Cadillac Deville DTS land yacht, a gluttonous and unpopular fetish ride, a wolf in sheep's clothing

This will look like a stretch being posted on my blog about "humble custom and classic" vehicles, but, I assure you, with the little tweaks I did, I can argue that it meets the loose definition of "humble custom", and for me (and harder to argue) it is a modern classic.

This gracefully-aging beauty came along at the right time in the right place a little over a year ago. I had just resolved with one of my car buddies that my next car was going to be a cheap full-size, fully loaded out-of-fashion luxury-barge Cadillac (I've never owned one and needed to check that off the proverbial "list."). They sell used for pennies on the dollar compared to things like Toyota trucks, which as they age increase in value like real estate.

This car presented itself to me and it was love at first sight. I was not well versed in post-vintage Cadillacs so I didn't really know what I was looking at. But I knew I really really liked it. The color grabbed me, the beautiful gray leather interior reeled me in, and the bucket seat and floor shifter sealed the deal.
                                   
My DTS (Deville Touring Sedan)  is finished in the exquisite and understated "thunder metallic gray" complimented with chrome plated Cadillac rims and a hand-painted pinstripe.






From any angle, she's large and has presence. Note the absence of the classic Caddi hood ornament. The DTS model was the "sport" package and as such wore a cleaner look devoid of superfluous chrome and bling. The low-slung stance lends itself to surprisingly good handling, evasive maneuvering and acceleration despite it's portly dimensions. The last three American Presidents all relied on these Devilles in their motorcades!

 I had all windows professionally tinted to 35% for a classy, semi-private look. I de-badged the deck lid of the engine and model emblems, leaving only that legendary crest in the center on display. I also upgraded the front brakes with cross drilled rotors and dustless ceramic brake pads. Stopping this sled in a hurry was never a problem. Between the visual aesthetic of the tucked quad pipes and the Cadillac crest, enough said...


 Slipping behind the leather and wood heated steering wheel, the car is a super old-money-opulent American treat to drive. I had to replace the worn engine mounts and shocks to restore that smooth, confident, powerful Cadillac experience, but it was well worth it and I was rewarded every time I turned the key and that 300 horsepower Northstar eagerly roared to life.
 The original mufflers were so good that I couldn't hear the V8 at all. So I cut them off and welded in place this set of Summit Racing "turbo-style" chambered units. They allowed for a satisfying burble at idle and a gleeful, yet subdued wail in the higher RPM's, while remaining completely silent at steady cruise. I retained the high quality and well-styled original quad tips.
 As a point of defense when everyone asked why I would buy this car, I routinely suggested that, while Cadillac ownership isn't for everyone, I loved it for the inspiring 300 HP engine, the spacious leather interior, and this little "auto" button. This is the switch on the side of the front seats which actuates the seat massage....I used it all the time...All the time. The seats were also heated and cooled.
Here is the best and worst part of post-vintage full-size Cadillac ownership- Northstar. I knew that these engines are notorious for stretched head bolts and blown head gaskets. They all do it and are essentially an expensive ticking time-bomb. However, after purchasing this car I did some research and learned that by 2004 Cadillac had successfully redesigned the Northstar (for like the 5th time since the early 1990's) and finally had their reliability problems fixed. This engine is one of the good ones! Note that the "NHP" on the cover designated this as the 300HP version, instead of the standard 275 in all other Deville models. Now go out and get yours before they're all sent to the crusher!!!