Sunday, September 21, 2014

1965 Ford Falcon Futura, my first car. (circa 1992)

My first car was this 65 Falcon hardtop. It was a 26 year old car and had more than it's fair share of dents around its body. The interior was decent and the 289 ci V8 engine was peppy. I didn't know anything about working on cars, but I figured I could tackle the body work. It was not easy and it didn't turn out the best, but it looked very presentable and was a nice car to be seen in after that. I drove it in various shades of primer my entire junior year in High School. I painted it in my back yard over summer break and had a swanky Classic to drive my whole senior year. Score!
 Before I was old enough to drive it, my father had pick it up and done a little work to make it safe and comfortable. I painted the hood black as it was from another car and didn't match at all.

 I stripped the trim to fix some dents.
 After I paid to have some major body work done, literally the day after, a Lincoln collided into me. I was very upset.
 I drove it around looking like this for what seemed like eternity. it was more like a year and a half.
 Primer applied panel by panel as I could afford it and find time. Note- newspapers are a very poor choice for masking as they give off ink and oils.
 I love a car in fresh paint, all one color! The finish was a little dry and rough, but color sanding made it look reasonable for a back yard job.
 I really liked the original hubcaps and had no intentions on removing them. The problem came during spirited driving competitions with my friends through the foothills in and around Meadow Vista, Ca. I always had to stop or go back to pick up my caps. It didn't take much to throw a hubcap. My friends were always good sports about helping me find them.
Nice original interior. Steel dash, AM radio, faded carpet. Great horn ring! I regrettably sold this car down the road in 1994.