Wednesday, September 24, 2014

1965 Ford Falcon wheel selection

I really liked the idea of the centerlines on the car. I wanted that mean 80's street-machine vibe. When it was all said and done, I wasn't satisfied with the pairing of the wheels to the car. I tried old slot mags, of which I am a huge fan, but I think the white  walls kept the cool factor down so they had to go. To my eye, the black steel rims and white walls looked cool, but unfinished. I had considered some original hubcaps with spinners, but feared loosing them during spirited driving. I tried some Summit brand torque thrust knock-offs, not quite right. I ended up settling on some Cragars, and when I did, to my eye, I had the perfect rim. I can't see anything else on the car. There's a harmony to the polished edge and light gray center, the sharp, crisp edges of the spokes that plays well with the lines of the car.
My original concept for the finished Falcon was 80's street-machine, the look didn't suit the car. These are 15x7 rims

                                                Stock 14" steelies look pretty cool, but unfinished.
              Slot mags are legendary, but these crusty old 14 X 6 ones were a little too small looking and I think I blew it with the white walls. It may have been visually better to go black wall. This was not the look I envisioned.
                                      
Summit racing "legend" mags. 15 X 7. not too far off, but the dark centers didn't vibe as well with the car as lighter centers would have. 
Flashback to the 90's for a set of American Rachine Gambler rims complete with fake knock-offs. Not too  bad, and strangely, I even like the white walls.
Original hub caps. I had considered a set of these with the factory spinners attached but feared slinging them off regularly during aggressive driving maneuvers. 


The final selection. These are 15 X 7 Cragar eliminator 500's. I dig 'em. I think they were built for old Fords.
 There's plenty of room to show off the front disk brakes through those holes too. The back spacing is 3.8 or so to keep them from rubbing on the rear inner fenders. Keep in mind I am running a complete Granada rear axle.