Sunday, September 7, 2014

Ode to a garage

Having a garage is great. It's one of my favorite rooms in the house. I decided on the purchase of my most recent house largely because of the garage space. Turns out it really wasn't enough. My garage through the years has been at my parents house, friends houses, my brothers house, a college dorm carport, my apartment parking lot, my apartment's living room, backyard patio, the various shops I have worked at, a temporary back yard shelter, and of course, the actual garage attached to my house. To me it is primarily a work space, but very importantly, secondarily it is a place to stand and stare and dream. I get lost in my garage, not physically, but mentally. My wife has had to on more than one occasion rescue me after the passage of many hours of  inactivity in the garage staring at stuff and imagining the creative possibilities. I like to restore old cars. I like to own and look at cars and sometimes just sit in them while they are parked in my garage. I also like motorcycles.
Motorcycles and muscle cars! My (former) '66 Pontiac Le mans, my brand new (at the time) Buell Cyclone, a couple of BMW's a very used jet-ski. This was my brothers 7 car garage with lift and bathroom.

I did mention my garage being my apartment parking lot on occasion. Don't worry, it was a pretty seedy apartment complex, I don't think anyone ever noticed that I was restoring this '71 Volkswagen Westfalia right outside my door.
1987 Corvette. Here's a fun fact. 1987 was the first year of the aluminum headed, roller cam engines in production Corvettes. These cars are way under rated. I loved this car right until it unceremoniously developed a rod knock.
Enough room for my motorcycle to comfortably fit in this garage. (Sneak peek of the Westy I restored in that parking lot)
enough room for my motorcycle to comfortably fit in this apartment living room. (only when I was out of town- I didn't want it sitting outside unattended for a period of time)
That Buell and I really moved around a lot for a time. That's my 1965 Ford Falcon Futura awaiting some major attention.
same car and garage as above, just a year later.

A three car garage fills up fast when you actually put three cars in it.