Sunday, September 7, 2014

TR3A engine- a hiccup in my optimism

SO when I brought the car home originally, in pieces, I stored the engine and transmission out of the way and ignored them until it was their turn for the rebuild. Yeah, the engine looks a little rough, but if you had been wearing the rose-colored glasses that I wear, it isn't so bad. And yes, not only was it really really rusty on the outside, it was also seized on the inside. Locked up. After having pulled the head I spent a few hours knocking the pistons free. The crankshaft was rusty. The camshaft was rusty. The cylinder liners were beyond atrociously rusty. The crank pulley was too rusty to count on to not shred a fan belt. Etc, etc, etc...I spent hordes of cash on new pistons, machine work to the crankshaft, block, and a completely rebuilt head. I had hordes of money yet to spend on the engine. I was becoming disillusioned, not with the project, just with the engine. I feared that I would have several thousand invested into turning this rusty boat anchor into a decent running engine that would still leak, over-heat and smoke. I pondered. I pondered some more. I fretted. I still didn't know how the transmission was going to look when I opened it up, but at this point I think we all can pretty much guess...
 This is what a seized Triumph TR3A engine looks like perched next to a likely junk 4 speed transmission

 Head is off, rusty water pump and crank pulley still rusted in place.
 I hate looking at this picture. I honestly don't know how I stayed motivated some days.
 Yes,  rust on the valve adjusters and springs. And yes, when I removed the rocker arms, the valve springs maintained their collapsed state.
New front brake lines- bent from a bulk roll of tubing.
New rear brake lines. Some time has elapsed as evidenced by the dust layer.